Saturday, April 10, 2010

weekly food shop

this post will be updated tomorrow. I need a few things from pick 'n save to complete my list, but decided I'd rather go tomorrow after yoga class than go to three grocery stores today. I'll post my totals from whole foods and metro market.

EDIT: Pick 'n Save let me down, because they did not have enough of the frozen veggies I usually buy there. They only had one pack of the Green Giant Just For One that I like, so I bought one instead of the two I needed, which came out to $4.50. I should actually be ok, since I had some frozen broccoli left over after I made that quiche. I also bought a bag of clementines at Metro Market for $4.99 after I ran out of grapes on Monday.

Whole Foods:
Kashi 7 whole grains puffs cereal
organic soft goat cheese
0.62 pounds of green lentils

total: $9.53

Metro Market:
100 calorie packs goldfish
Vlasic jarred roasted bell peppers
village hearth light wheat bread
green giant frozen broccoli
edy's no sugar added mint chocolate chip ice cream
2 tomatoes
1 lemon
1 zucchini
1 carrot
jello sugar free pudding cups
half dozen eggs

total: $25.15

I did end up spending a little more than i normally do this week, but i was running low on the basic groceries that i needed.

2 comments:

  1. You seem to have an abundance of artificial sweeteners in your groceries. Any reason why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did make a note of this on my first weekly shopping list posted. The basic reason is that I have a serious sweet-tooth (it's probably a subconscious rebellion against my dad, who is my dentist). Though there is no "official" recommendation for the amount of refined sugar one should consume on a daily basis, livestrong.com says that experts suggest a ratio of 40 grams of refined sugar for every 2,000 calories consumed on a daily basis. Bearing this in mind, I try to go for sweets that are sugar-free or have no sugar added when I purchase desserts.

    Having said that giant mouthful, I would like to add that I have been cutting back on my sweets lately and am trying to eat fruit instead of ice cream as dessert after dinner.

    ReplyDelete