Thursday, April 15, 2010

Recipe: Goat Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes


Making this was definitely an experiment for me. This was my first time trying this recipe, and it wasn't until I was into the preparation that I realized that I had no bread crumbs and I could not find my dried basil anywhere (the recipe calls for fresh basil, but I didn't think it would stay fresh long enough). My solutions were to make a piece of toast and rip up said piece of toast to work as breadcrumbs and to substitute italian seasoning for basil. It worked and still came out delicious, but next time I definitely plan on using breadcrumbs and basil.

ingredients:
4 large fresh tomatoes
4 ounces goat cheese
1 tbsp chopped bottled roasted red peppers
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1 tbsp torn fresh basil

directions:
1. Preheat the oven broiler.
2. Slice the tops off of the tomatoes and hollow out by removing the seeds.
3. In a bowl, mix the goat cheese and chopped red peppers together. Spoon an equal amount of the cheese mixture into each hollowed out tomato. Place stuffed tomatoes upright in a baking dish. Top each tomato evenly with the bread crumbs and torn basil. Drizzle with olive oil.
4. Place under broiler for 5 to 10 minutes until bread crumbs are lightly browned.

serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment