Sunday, April 18, 2010

Recipe: Creamy Tomato Soup

(NOTE: I will add a picture to this post this afternoon)

I've been craving creamy tomato soup since last week, so I finally got around to making some last night. I lightened this recipe by using Promise light spread instead of butter, and I don't think it made a huge difference in terms of taste. Ideally, I would have used low sodium tomato juice, but I couldn't find any at Metro Market. I probably should have looked at pick 'n save, since they have a better selection for that sort of thing.

ingredients:
4 roma tomatoes, chopped
4 cups tomato juice
28 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 cup fat free half&half (I used kemp's, but land o lakes makes this, too)
1/2 cup butter

directions:
Place tomatoes and juice in a stock pot over medium heat. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree the tomato mixture along with the basil leaves, and return the puree to the pot. Place the pot over medium heat, and stir in the half & half and butter. Heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Do not boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment