Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Recipe: Spinach and Mango Salad

Photobucket
(sorry for the terrible photo quality, I had to take the picture with my phone in the dark staff lounge with no overhead lights or windows at my school)

When I first saw this recipe, I didn't think it was enough for four servings, so I decided to made more sense to make 2 servings for myself. About half way through ripping the spinach leaves, I realized I was wrong. this recipe definitely makes four servings! That being said, it's delicious and I love that I now have a great recipe for homemade balsamic vinaigrette! The original recipe called for maple-infused balsamic vinegar, but I used regular balsamic vinegar instead because I couldn't find any that was maple-infused. I did find some flavored with raspberries and pomegranate, which I'd like to try when I make my own dressing in the future.

the most time consuming part of this recipe is probably dealing with the mango. I'm no professional when it comes to cutting fruit like mangos or melons, so it takes me some time to get it done.

my favorite thing about making this salad? when i eat it right after toasting the almonds. they're still warm, which adds an interesting sensation to the salad. Of course, it works great as leftovers for lunch the next day. The teachers at my school couldn't believe that I made the dressing myself!

ingredients:
3/4 cup blanched slivered almonds
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp mustard (I used dijon, but the orig. recipe called for dry mustard)
salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch fresh spinach-rinsed, dried, and torn into bite sized pieces
2 mangos-peeled, seeded, and cubed

directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Arrange almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and lightly toasted.
In a small bowl, mix red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt, and pepper.
In a medium bowl, toss the red wine vinegar mixture with the spinach and mangos. Top with the toasted almonds.

serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment