Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Recipe: Lemon Orzo Primavera


I feel like orzo is under-appreciated, mainly because people don't know a lot about it. I ate some leftovers from this recipe for lunch today, and everyone in the staff lounge thought I was eating rice! That being said, orzo is a pasta and can easily be found in the pasta aisle in any grocery store. I ended up buying it at whole foods because I was hoping they would have it available in bulk (they didn't), but I've seen it at Metro Market and Pick 'n Save, too.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
1 clove garlic, crushed (I just chop it, since I dont have a garlic press)
1 medium zucchini, shredded
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 (14 oz) can vegetable broth
1 lemon, zested
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, or to taste

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat.
2. Stir in orzo, and cook 2 minutes, until golden.
3. Stir in garlic, zucchini, and carrot, and cook 2 minutes.
4. Pour in the broth and mix in lemon zest. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed and orzo is tender (NOTE: the original recipe said 10 minutes, but it takes me closer to 25 minutes).
5. Top with Parmesan to serve.

serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment