Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Recipe: Hummus Sandwich


I feel like hummus is one of those foods that you can always appreciate, no matter how much of a carnivore you may claim to be. I once made a red pepper hummus from scratch for a heart healthy luncheon at my school, and it disappeared faster than anyone could imagine! I made up this sandwich based on a recipe I found on the internet for a cucumber sandwich, then modified it so I could cure my cravings for hummus.

Hummus Sandwich

ingredients:
  • 2 slices whole wheat bread (my brand of choice is healthy life)
  • 2 tbsp hummus, divided (I prefer red pepper hummus with athenos as my brand of choice, but any kind will do...it's up to your personal taste)
  • 4 cucumber slices
  • 2 tbsp alfalfa sprouts
  • 2 tomato slices
  • 1 lettuce leaf (either green or red lettuce)
directions:
  • spread 1 tbsp of hummus on each slice of bread
  • place cucumber slices on bottom slice of bread, then layer alfalfa sprouts on top
  • place tomato slices on top of alfalfa sprouts, followed by lettuce leaf.
  • place remaining slice of bread with the hummus facing the lettuce.
that's all there is to it! it tastes great and is easy to make.

also, good news: I found the receipt from sunday's food shopping trip! I'll post the total later this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment