Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Recipe: Egg Fried Rice


If you're anything like me, you grew up eating takeout every weekend for dinner. Unfortunately, decent chinese food became difficult for me to find when I was in college in Indiana. I'm still wary of chinese food in Milwaukee, even though the place around the corner from me was given the title of best chinese food in milwaukee by onmilwaukee.com. my solution? make my own chinese food! like most rice recipes, this is pretty easy to make. I make a pretty basic version of this dish, but other vegetables such as onions, mushrooms, bean sprouts, and/or edamame could be added to this dish to add some variety! I'm going to try adding some new veggies next time I make this.

ingredients:
1 cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 cup uncooked instant rice
1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup peas
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

directions:
1. In a saucepan bring water and soy sauce to a boil. Add rice and stir. Remove from heat, cover and let stand until liquid is completely absorbed (more or less 15 minutes)
2. Heat oil in a medium skillet or wok over medium heat. Saute peas for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in egg and fry for 2 minutes, scrambling egg while it cooks.
3. Stir in the cooked rice, mix well and sprinkle with pepper.

serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment