Sunday, May 30, 2010

spring cleaning, kitchen style

Maybe the idea of spring cleaning has gotten the better of me, or maybe I'm anticipating the fact that I'm going to be moving at the of the summer, but I've started to focus most of my cooking on using up food that I have a lot of already. It started when I finished off my bottle of teriyaki sauce with the marinade I made for my baked tofu (see this past thursday)...

Friday's lunch followed a similar theme. I bought a bottle of pesto at Trader Joe's with no set intention for it several months ago. I came across it earlier this week while looking for baking soda and decided that it's time to use it. I also had an open box of boca burgers with one burger left (and an unopened package of garden burgers to start on). I decided to create what I call an italian burger. It's a boca burger with provolone cheese melted on it and topped with pesto. I ate it on a whole wheat bun, and it was incredible. I also finished off what little remained of an open bag of guiltless gourmet salt-free tortilla chips with an open jar of whole food's salsa.

I cracked out the bottle of pesto again for last night's dinner, using it to top the meager remains of my Dreamfield's penne pasta. My side was grape tomatoes in oil and vinegar. For dessert, I ate the last few cookies in my box of Tagalongs (I'm pretty sure they were stale, though...gross).

When I returned from yoga class this morning, I knew I wanted something different than what I normally have for breakfast on weekends. My normal breakfast on weekends consists of a Thomas' light multigrain english muffin with either promise light spread, peanut butter, neufchatel cheese, or jam (or sometimes a combination of the last two), along with a bowl of Kashi 7 whole grains puffs. Sometimes I'll throw in some fresh fruit, depending on what I've got. On this morning, though, I decided to change things up. Using the egg beaters I bought recently, I made an egg scramble consisting of goat cheese crumbles and the remaining two grape tomatoes. I ate it on a toasted english muffin. I meant to put some pesto on the english muffin, but forgot to. It was pretty good without it, but I'm sure it would've been even better with the pesto. maybe I'll try it tomorrow, even though I'm out of tomatoes now (maybe I'll use some of the mushrooms I have, instead.)

If I have enough basil, i'm going to try round one of making pesto tomorrow. I have a jar of roasted red peppers to get rid of, so I'm going to make red pepper pesto. I'll probably freeze it, since I have the regular pesto from Trader Joe's to finish off, first.

No comments:

Post a Comment