Sunday, May 23, 2010

Recipe: Vegetarian Risotto with Asparagus

This was my first time making risotto, but I was aware that it would be a time-consuming dish to prepare. So I made it before I left for my volunteer work and refrigerated it so I could just reheat it when I got home. It was so delicious that I forgot to take a picture of it before I wolfed it all down! No worries, though, I'll take a picture of it when I eat the leftovers I have sitting in my fridge. The good thing about this recipe is that even though it is time consuming, it is simple. In fact, the only ingredient I didn't have on-hand for this recipe was asparagus, which is easy to find in any grocery store this time of the year.

Ingredients:
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 cups water
2 cups vegetable broth
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
1 pound fresh asparagus spears, diagonally sliced into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup uncooked Arborio Rice
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Heat water and broth in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and keep warm. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium heat; add asparagus and cook until tender crisp. Remove asparagus; set aside. In same saucepan, cook onion in remaining 1 tablespoon butter until soft. Add rice and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine; stir until absorbed. Increase heat to medium-high; stir in 1 cup water-broth mixture.
Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until liquid is absorbed. Continue stirring and adding remaining water-broth mixture 1 cup at a time, allowing each cup to be absorbed before adding another. Cook until rice is tender and mixture has a creamy consistency, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in asparagus, cream, cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until mixture is creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.

I lightened this recipe by using low sodium vegetable broth and fat-free half and half instead of heavy cream. I also used garlic instead of an onion because I don't like onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment