Monday, May 10, 2010

Recipe: Grilled Portobella Mushroom Burger

Photobucket
I decided to make this recipe for two reasons: 1) I wanted to put a bottle of merlot that I opened two weeks ago to good use (I figure it's been open too long to be any good to drink now), and 2) I wanted to use the new griddle cover I bought at Target for my stovetop. The result: yummy! I got impatient and only marinated one mushroom for an hour and a half instead of 2 hours, but I allowed the other mushroom to marinate overnight. I'll report if there's any difference tonight.

Ingredients:
6 portobella mushroom caps, stems removed and gills scraped out
2 cups red wine
2 cloves garlic, chopped
8 black peppercorns
2 sprigs fresh thyme
6 whole wheat hamburger buns (I recommend toasting them)
mayonnaise, onion, tomato, and arugula for garnishing (all optional)

Directions:
1. Poke holes all over mushrooms, making sure not to break them. Place in large glass baking dish.

2. Combine wine, garlic, peppercorns, and thyme in small saucepan, and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes. Pour wine mixture over mushroom caps, and stir to coat. Cover, and marinate 2 hours.

3. Preheat grill or broiler. Remove mushrooms from marinade, and discard liquid. Grill mushrooms 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and juicy. Serve on buns with burger fixings.

serves 6

I garnished mine with some mixed baby greens and fat free mayonnaise last night. Tonight, I may add in a pepperoncini pepper to add a little kick to it, because it was very sweet.

EDIT: while marinating the mushroom cap overnight did not effect the flavor overall, I definitely recommend adding a pepperoncini pepper as garnish. It gave it the something that it was missing last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment