Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Recipe: Coconut Lime Rice

Photobucket

One bite of this rice and you'll feel like you're on vacation on a tropical island. The rice really captures the flavor from the blend of vegetable broth and coconut milk that you boil the rice in instead of water. The lime juice adds a nice little twist to it, too. Be careful about how high you have the heat on while simmering the rice, because I burned mine a little bit.

ingredients:
1 cup basmati rice
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp butter
1/4 cup flaked coconut
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup vegetable broth
salt, to taste
1 lime, zested and juiced
ground black pepper, to taste

directions:
Heat coconut oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir rice and coconut flakes for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, then add the coconut milk, chicken broth, salt and lime zest. Bring to a low boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and season with pepper.

I made this recipe a little healthier by doing the following:
1. using Promise light spread instead of regular butter
2. using light coconut milk instead of regular coconut milk
3. using low sodium vegetable broth

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely bookmark this recipe.. I was craving coconut rice one day so I bought a can of coconut milk thinking, "eh, I'll figure it out." I ended up making something else that day, and the can has been in my pantry ever since.

    ReplyDelete