Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Recipe: Braised Seitan in Mushroom and Red Wine Sauce

Photobucket
I kind of failed at this recipe. More specifically, the seitan fell apart when I tried to cut in cutlets (lesson learned: cut it crosswise, not lengthwise), and I got impatient while waiting for the sauce to thicken out. Despite this, it was delicious. I didn't have enough red wine, so I improvised by adding tomato juice. It was still good, but next time I make this I hope I have enough wine. I also omitted the parsley, only because I forgot to put it on before I ate it.

ingredients:
1 8-oz. pkg. seitan, drained and halved into 2 thin cutlets
1 Tbs. unbleached flour
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
1/2 cup red wine
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup chopped parsley

directions:
1. Coat seitan pieces in flour. Heat oil in large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add seitan, and cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side, pressing pieces down to brown evenly. Remove seitan from skillet, and keep warm.
2. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic to skillet. Sauté 7 to 10 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned. Whisk together red wine, mustard, and thyme in measuring cup. Add to mushroom mixture; season with salt and pepper, if desired; and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Whisk together cornstarch and vegetable broth in same measuring cup, then add to mushroom mixture. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened, stirring constantly. Place seitan cutlets on plates, top with mushroom sauce, and sprinkle with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment