Thursday, July 29, 2010

Things I've learned on the Road

I just got back from vacation in the south, during which I learned a few interesting things about myself and my food stamps. this is what I learned:
1. health food stores are your best friend when you travel as much as I do and refuse to pay $10 for a plate of fries at the airport bar.
2. half a pound of couscous, a fruit leather, and a protein bar can become a satisfying meal.
3. no, that wasn't sarcastic.
4. at some point in the last two years, major airlines stopped being courteous enough to give a free in-flight snack.
5. prepare accordingly for this.
6. in Georgia, you can use your food stamps to buy deli products.

there was a health food store/deli near my friend's apartment that we went to on my last day for lunch. while there, I also decided to buy some dried lavender and a few other things that weren't from the deli counter, along with my sandwich and couscous. when I asked the girl at the register if they take ebt, she told me that I can only use it to buy food. imagine how excited i was to learn my tofu sandwich and israeli couscous were covered, too! I told the girl that we have different rules in Wisconsin, and she told me that only a few delis take it. Regardless, I was an excited person.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sarh,
    Let me know the next time you need a guest post -- I had a food experiment that went great, and I'd love to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. I check in ever day . Love your recipes.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops should be every
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete