Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Open Thread: What's for Lunch?

When you were in school (or if you still are), did you buy your lunch in the cafeteria or bring your own? Did your parents pack it for you, or did you make your own lunch?

For those of us no longer in school, do you normally eat your lunch at a local restaurant and/or get takeout, or do you bring something from home?

I remember school lunch being a rare treat for me in elementary and middle school. My parents and I would go through the menu every month and decide when I would buy lunch and when I would pack my own. I stopped buying school lunch altogether in high school for two reasons: a) I became a vegetarian during my freshman year, and the only options I had were bagels and fries, and b) I once found a roach walking across the cafeteria floor while waiting for fencing practice to start (yes, our team practiced in the cafeteria. you'd think the state champion fencing team would be shown a little more respect).

As a quasi-adult who works full time, I always bring my lunch with my to work. What I actually eat varies, but I always make sure that it includes at least one serving of fruit, one serving of vegetables, and whole grains.

For example, here's what I ate for today's lunch:
a spicy tofu wrap (spinach, baby carrots, and marinated tofu topped with hot sauce and homemade baba ghanouj wrapped in a multigrain tortilla)
Jane's fat free lightly salted popcorn
2 apricots
Annie's bunny fruit snacks

So I'd like to know what you all ate for lunch today!

1 comment:

  1. My school lunches in high school were either fruit salads or pasta salads. I didn't eat much during the day but I always ate a huge meal at dinner. Now I eat smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day. So around lunchtime I have fruit, a protein bar and either soup, or something light. :)

    ReplyDelete