Monday, July 5, 2010

Open Thread/Opion Piece: Healthy Eating on the Road

A recent guest blogger on Mrs. Q's Fed Up With School Lunch blog (you can find the link on my blog roll) discussed the lack of nutrition in convenience store food. This is far from news to me. I remember the feeling of disgust towards the junk food stocked at the local 24 hour convenience store near my college's campus, especially after I returned from a semester abroad in France. European convenience stores always feature fresh fruits and vegetables. I still look back fondly on a family trip to Italy, during which we stopped a rest stop while driving from Venice to Florence (worst idea ever. Never drive in that country unless you are native to the area or learned how to drive in Chicago). I was starving, so you could imagine how enthralled I was to see a full salad bar that even offered fresh fruit.

In preparation for my drive to Indiana, I stocked up on healthy snacks. I went to a local health store and bought a sesame cookie, a luna snack cookie, and shelled pistachios. The morning before I left, I ran to a grocery store and bought a bag of red grapes. This was more than enough to last the 7 hour drive, and I didn't even eat the cookies.

To prepare for the drive back to Wisconisn, I bought a bag of dried kiwis and a bag of pumpkin seeds at Jungle Jim's. When I stopped at Meijer's to fill up my gas tank before leaving this morning, I was shocked by what I saw inside the convenience store: fresh apples and bananas! And they were ripe, too! I bought a banana for the road, which came out to a mere quarter. It definitely came in handy when I was stuck in traffic outside of Gary.

I'd like to know what you all bring on road trips. Do you ever give in and buy snacks at convenience stores, or do you always pre-pack your road trip munchies?

1 comment:

  1. I live off of red and black grapes on road trips! Sometimes if cherries or other fruit are in season I will eat them. I also make my own trail mix with dried fruit and unsalted nuts.

    ReplyDelete