Friday, July 9, 2010

open thread: why are we hiding nutrients?

Most of the TV watching I do takes place while I'm cooking dinner and waking up in the morning, so I don't pay a whole lot of attention. Lately I've been catching more and more commercials for drinks that "hide" servings of fruits and vegetables.

Personally, I think the idea of disguising servings of fruits and vegetables is completely backwards, especially when it comes to kids. If anything, we need to teach children the importance of eating fruits and vegetables that are purchased fresh and cooked in a way that keeps their nutrients intact (i.e. steaming and grilling instead of frying and boiling).

I'd like to hear everyone else's opinions on this matter!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, but then again, when I was little vegetables tasted terribly bitter. My parents used to hide veggies and I am glad they did because given the choice I wouldn't have eaten them. There were certain veggies I did enjoy and ate with ease, but others I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole (such as onions!)

    ReplyDelete