Saturday, July 24, 2010

Cheap Food I Love: Garbanzo Beans

Photobucket

There's no reason not to love garbanzo beans. They are cheap, protein-packed, and can be prepared in a variety of ways. Yes, I do cheat and buy them canned instead of dry, but I make a point to buy the low-sodium/no salt added varieties to cut down on the sodium. I also make it a point to rinse the beans before cooking with them.

My favorite ways to cook with garbanzo beans include (but are not limited to):
1. hummus
2. in pasta
3. roasted in the oven
4. in salads

hummus is super-easy to make. you just need a can of garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, a couple of garlic cloves, your spices of choice, and a blender/food processor and you're in business! there's a million different ways you can use hummus, too.

for those of you who watch Top Chef DC, I was ecstatic to see the pasta dish that was described as "hummus undone." Sometimes I will take leftover garbanzo beans and toss them in olive oil with garlic, fresh spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes over pasta.

roasted chickpeas is great as a snack. it's easy to make, too: preheat your oven for 400 degrees, grease a baking sheet, spread the chickpeas out evenly on the sheet, bake for 30 minutes (check frequently), then toss with your seasoning of choice. I like to use sea salt, black pepper, and chili powder.

If you like to get a little more adventurous with chickpeas, homemade falafel is always fun to make! I like to bake mine instead of frying it to make it a little healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment