Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Recipe: Roasted Red Pepper Pesto

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, one of my memorial day activities was making pesto using basil leaves from my plant, as well as my new Oster blender that I bought on clearance recently (my old blender had to be retired after smoke started coming out of it). I decided on a roasted red pepper pesto for two reasons: 1) I already have an open jar of regular pesto from trader joe's to finish off, and 2) I wanted to put an open jar of roasted red pepper strips that I've had sitting in my fridge to good use. I did not take any pictures of the end result, but I thought you would all enjoy the recipe, anyway.

ingredients:
- 1 cup roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, quartered lengthwise
- 1/3 cup roasted pine nuts
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste

directions:
In a blender or food processor, purée peppers until they are smooth and well blended. Shred cheese and chop nuts into bits, blending thoroughly and add to peppers. Chop basil into tiny pieces and combine with peppers, cheese and nuts.
Add oil and vinegar to combined ingredients. Press garlic and combine with other ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I decided to freeze my pesto so I could use it after I finish my TJ's pesto. If you decide to refrigerate it, it will only be good for a week or so. I think my next pesto will be with sundried tomatoes or regular pesto.

1 comment:

  1. this is positively one of my favorite pesto's
    hope you are having a great day!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete