Thursday, June 3, 2010

Recipe: Chik'n Piccata

It has taken a lot of nerve for me to admit this publicly, but my favorite food as an omnivorous child was veal piccata. my parents introduced me to it at a young age, and I was hooked on it immediately (you can get an idea of what I had to work with when I went veg during my freshman year of high school). I also enjoyed the cheaper version of this meal-chicken piccata. Lately I've been craving piccata sauce, but wasn't sure how to make it vegetarian-friendly. While shopping at whole foods last week, I came across Lightlife's Savory Chik'n tenders. These worked perfectly with the sauce! Tempeh would probably suffice as a meat substitution for this recipe, too. Portobello mushrooms might work, too, but I think everything works with portobello mushrooms.

(no picture yet, but I promise to post one tonight!)

ingredients:
1 package lightlife savory chik'n tenders
1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
1/4 lemon, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons butter

directions:
1. Heat oil in skillet. Cook and stir the minced garlic in the skillet until fragrant, about 20 seconds.
2. Pour in the chicken broth. Stir in the lemon slices and bring the mixture to a boil. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce reduces to about 2/3 cup, 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Add the lemon juice and capers; simmer until the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes more.
4. Meanwhile, heat chik'n tenders according to directions on package.
5. Drop the butter into the skillet and swirl it into the sauce by tilting the skillet until the butter is melted and incorporated.
6. Arrange chik'n tenders on plates and pour sauce over tenders. Serve warm.

Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment