Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Positive Changes

I've noticed some positive changes in my eating habits over the last month or so. In order to cut back on the amount of refined sugar I eat, I've been eating fruit for dessert after dinner instead of my previous choice of skinny cow ice cream. Maybe it's because my favorite fruits are in season now (peaches, apricots, and nectarines), or maybe it's because I've replaced my sugar fix with a bowl of cantaloupe slices, but I've found that I am subconciously reaching for fruit instead of candy when craving something sweet. This is something I've never done in the past.

For example: I had a late night last night and did not get to eat until 8:30. I had been hungry since about 7:00, since my post tae kwando snack of a rice cake smothered in peanut butter wasn't as satisfying as I hoped it would be. I was still hungry after dinner and wanted something sweet. Well aware of the box of girl scout cookies in my fridge, I did not even think twice about reaching for a bag of dried apricots in my pantry.

Part of my decrease in chocolate cravings may have to do with the fact that I've significantly cut back on my soda intake. In fact, I only drink soda when I'm at a bar and want a mixed drink, which in itself is a rare occasion, since I'm not big on drinking. It's the same situation with juice, too. I'd rather eat a piece of fruit than drink sugary fruit juices.

No comments:

Post a Comment