Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Open Thread: Whole Foods

Recently a friend sent me a link to this article:
http://www.postbourgie.com/2010/06/02/skinny-people-shop-at-whole-foods

As someone who frequents Whole Foods, I'd like to point out that this study would have very different results if done in Milwaukee. I'd like to see this study done in multiple cities instead of just Seattle.

I'd like to hear the opinions of everyone else on this article. So go ahead and read it and post your reaction in a comment! I promise I'll read them all and try to respond to everyone, too.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the author has a bit of money in her family.
    But I disagree, "poor" people have access to the information that could help them cook -- just go to the library.
    We put too much emphasis on store-bought food now. Understood that the housewife (who usually made all the food in the house from scratch) is somewhat obsolete now (and I mean the 1950's sense of the word), but I still think there's time for home cooked meals to be squeezed in there.
    Crockpots are an excellent start, and they save so much time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you don't even need a crockpot for quick and easy meals. I've found that recipes where the food is cooked in an oven are usually simple and require minimal effort.

    I work more hours than my parents, yet they eat pre-prepared food more often than I do. Granted, I don't have the disposable income that they do, but my mom didn't understand how I live so close to a large variety of restaurants that offer takeout and delivery, along with the prepared food section of whole foods, yet I'd rather destroy my sad excuse of a kitchen in order to cook my own meals.

    ReplyDelete