Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Reflections, Part Two

One of the questions I am asked most frequently is where my love for cooking comes from. The detailed answer is finally revealed tonight, as I sit in a classroom avoiding the gusty winds outside...

in 2007 I spent my fall semester studying in various parts of France. Each region was a different learning experience for me. Nantes taught me that I can, in fact, navigate a city by myself. The Pyrenee Mountains taught me that I do not like being in solitude for extended periods of time, while bringing out my artistic side. Paris taught me how to love food.

My host mom in paris was a simple woman. She was divorced and lived with her long-term boyfriend and daughter in a beautiful apartment in the asian district of paris. her mantra was that her favorite thing after a long day of work was to change into her nightgown and cook. Though her love for cooking did not transfer into my love for vegetables, a compromise was reached over seafood. To be honest, I'm a little surprised that I did not succumb to mercury poisoning from all the salade nicoise I ate.

Three years later, I am no longer a pescatarian, but my host mom's love for cooking left an imprint on me. She loved to share her food, and so do I. She may love a good coq au vin, but I'll take a red lentil curry cooked to perfection any day of the week.

my inner artist brought to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment