Friday, December 17, 2010

Why I Love Farmer's Markets


Union Square Greenmarket - or as I like to call it, heaven.

Not everyone shares my passion for farmer's markets. I am often asked why I would rather take time out of my schedule to go to a farmer's market instead of going to a supermarket at my convenience. well, here are my reasons:

1. Everything sold at farmer's markets are fresh.
The idea of fresh food in our society is now a thing of the past when we step into supermarkets. We live in the age of processed cheese and frozen dinners made up mostly of preservatives. This is not the case at the farmer's market. Not only is everything preservative-free, but all of the produce is in season.

2. It helps the economy of your community
Farmer's markets attracts vendors within the area. This means that whenever you buy your vegetables at a stand from your town's farmer's market, you are directly helping your community's economy. Most farmers that sell their goods at farmer's markets are too small to attract the interest of corporate food producers, so their main source of income is derived from those who purchase their food at farmers markets.

3. The atmosphere
I participate in a weekly yoga class where we are instructed to close our eyes and "find our happy place" towards the end of the class. Some might choose the beach or childhood memory. My mind always takes me to the Union Square Greenmarket. There's nothing that makes me happier than being surrounded by vendors who devote their lives to producing and selling food at these markets. Furthermore, they are knowledgeable in the food they sell and usually are not short of good conversation. I once spent a good half an hour discussing various ways to use sugar pumpkins with a vendor at the greenmarket.

So there you have it. Three reasons why I love farmers markets. If you have another reason, feel free to contribute by leaving a comment!

1 comment:

  1. The opportunity to try something new! I am always tempted by the produce I see there.

    ReplyDelete