Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Brief Hiatus from Healthy Food

I know I fail at updating as regularly as I planned to. I don't have any new healthy recipes to share, so instead I'm bringing you a recipe that isn't healthy, but tastes amazing. It's for a cake!

A friend commissioned me to bake a birthday cake for her earlier this month, and of course I was happy to oblige! The recipe was originally for cupcakes, but I converted it into a layer cake.


The cake of birthday goodness

Port Wine and Cherry Cake with Marscapone Frosting
ingredients:
1.5 cups port wine
1.5 cups cherry pie filling
2 sticks butter
6 T + 1.5 cups sugar
2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
2/3 cup sour cream

16 oz. marscapone
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup confectioners sugar
cherries

directions:
simmer port and cherries in saucepan for 10 minutes. Remove 1/4 cup of liquid and set aside.
Add butter, 6T sugar, chocolate, and cocoa to saucepan and whisk until melted. set aside and let cool.
in a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and remaining sugar. set aside.
in a large bowl, whisk eggs and sour cream. add port mixture and mix briefly. add flour mixture and mix briefly. pour into two greased cake pans. bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool in cake pan before transferring to wire rack.

Beat marscapone, heavy cream, and confectioners sugar until a stiff peak form.
spoon remaining port mixture on each cake layer before frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment