Monday, October 18, 2010

Recipe: Sweet Potato Soup

Yes, I am back in action! And just in time for fall, I've come up with this recipe. I was inspired by a recipe for spicy sweet potato soup, but because I was unable to find my stash of spices, I decided to do away with the spicy part and just make a sweet potato soup.

ingredients:
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp grated lime zest
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
4 cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp grated ginger root
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 lime, juiced
salt and pepper to taste

directions:
1.In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and lime zest. Set aside in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to blend.
2.Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add sweet potatoes, and vegetable stock. Season with ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
3.Puree the soup using an immersion blender or regular blender. If using a counter top blender, puree in small batches, filling the blender just a bit past half way to avoid spillage. Whisk peanut butter into the soup, and heat through. Stir in lime juice, and salt/pepper.
4.Ladle into warm bowls, and top with a dollop of the reserved sour cream

this soup was incredible! I actually licked my bowl clean. For me, the best part of soup as a dish is how easy it is to store. Leftovers can be frozen, which means that I have enough soup stored in my fridge so I dont have to think about cooking when I get home from my night classes this week.

I'll try to remember to post a picture later.

1 comment:

  1. i made this soup last night for dinner. it. was. amazing! my husband devoured it as well. i had it again for lunch today and i will have it for lunch tomorrow.

    just another one of your fabulous recipes!

    ReplyDelete