Saturday, March 27, 2010

Weekly Food Shop for 03/27-04/03

ok folks, you're going to have to bear with me for this first week.

admittedly, this is not the best week for me to start this blog. my site's school governance council is meeting this monday, and these meetings don't start until 5:30 in the evening (which means I won't get home until 6:30 if I'm lucky). also, my mom will be visiting me friday thru sunday, which means that I won't be cooking for myself during the weekend. This will be a relatively boring week for food shopping and cooking.

my proof for the previous statement is that I managed to do my entire week's food shopping at metro market. it usually takes trips to at least two grocery stores to get everything I need for the week.

here is what I bought at metro market for the week:
  • red wine vinegar
  • dried rosemary
  • 100 calorie packs of hostess blueberry muffins
  • edy's no sugar added fudge tracks ice cream
  • 1 cucumber
  • fresh ginger root
  • 1 tomato
  • red grapes
  • 1 head of green lettuce
  • 1 portobello mushroom cap
  • fiber one peach yogurt
the grand total: $23.71

some notes about my grocery list:
I do not subscribe to the 100 calorie pack fad for dieting purposes. I do think they are convenient, especially someone in my situation who eats two meals a day somewhere besides her apartment. I can throw the pack in my purse the night before and not have to worry about remembering my breakfast in my 6 am wakeup haze.

the logic behind choosing no sugar added ice cream is simple. I have a hardcore sweet tooth. though nutritionists have not established an official limit as to how much sugar one should consume on a daily basis, most agree that you should aim for something under 40 grams of refined sugar. I can easily go over this. So, I try to go for low sugar options when they are available.

another reason why my grocery list was so light this week is that in light of my mom's upcoming visit, I decided to clean out/reorganize my cabinets and fridge. In the process of doing so, I realized that I have a lot of pasta and a large amount of red lentils. Thus, this week I will be making linguine with portobello mushrooms and masoor daal for dinner. I will also be breaking my previous promise and have a veggie burger one night (don't hate me too much).

stay tuned...I promise things will get more interesting!

edit: I didn't mention this earlier, but I will still try to update my blog on days that I don't cook. Instead of posting recipes and whatnot, I will write about other things that touch on the themes of nutrition and why I choose certain foods over others.

No comments:

Post a Comment